A jigsaw is a tiling puzzle that requires the assembly of numerous small, often oddly shaped,interlocking and tessellating pieces. (Wikipedia 2013)Tiling puzzles require shapes be assembled into a larger given shape without overlaps (and often without gaps). Tiling puzzles may be made from wood, metal, cardboard, plastic or any other sheet-material. There are many tiling puzzles available as computer games or as online community software that can be used to create, send and share artworks as puzzles that can be scattered and reassembled.
Why is this interesting? Entrepreneurial Tip!
With the invention of the 3D printer it is possible to print plastic Tangrams. Wait long enough and there will be one in every classroom. In the meantime if you invent a really fascinating Tangram send away the pattern and maybe someone will print it for you!
Or you could make a movie showing how to construct your Tangram.
- Eisner,E. The Arts and the Creation of Mind. 2002. Yale University Press
- Gardner,H. (2011) Frames of Mind. The Theory of Multiple Intelligences. Basic Books.
- Murphy,J. (2013) Global Citizens Creative Arts Text. Insights and Activities. Kindle
- Murphy,J. (2006) Elliot Eisner’s 10 Lessons
- Murphy,J. (2012.) Submergence : Ways to Access Online Learning.