A challenging unit can be tailored around letter writing into to a fun project based unit as an vital aspect of the structure of the work.
By setting up the situation so that the student is likely to receive a reply from a real artist (in this case a photographer) the student is motivated to write a friendly but business like letter.
The first step is to make the Jigsaw and Insert the acknowledgment links into the Jigzone Jigsaw. (Example below)
- How to Make a Jigzone Jigsaw. This is the neat PDF Version. (Screen Shots Instructional)
Students will learn about various aspects of letter writing
The next step is to use the template provided. Give the template to the students and ask them to write a letter to the photographer whose work they have used. Thank You Letter (Jigzone example)
On the template you will see that I have listed the various skills needed by the students to be able to complete this task.
- make online jigsaws and include the copyright links
- tracking down the contact details and appropriate salutation to include on the letter
- writing the letter with appropriate movement through the body structure
- closure and inclusion of links into the body of the letter
- sending the email Thank You Letter